Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cheaper than a trip to Italy --The Raphael Affair by Iain Pears

I have never been to Rome. Really. I've been to some fabulous cities: Paris, London, Prague, Milan, New York, Chicago, Lisbon, Montreal, New Orleans and quite a few more. But the Eternal City has never been mine. And I long to go someday even if my very significant husband doesn't seem interested.

So this beautiful gift from my daughter Morgan almost filled the bill. Just oozing with Roman sunshine, this book is a trip to Italy and a lesson in art fraud detection in one.

The plot eluded me somewhat. I think I read it too fast. Which means I get to go back and read it again. And the relationship between Flavia and Jonathan is just right. Not too hot, not too cold.

If the words "erudite" and "intellectual" send little thrills up your spine, this lovely book is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment