Thursday, August 23, 2012

Kids' magazines --Gotta love them!

http://www.cobblestonepub.com/magazine/cal/

Have I said how much I love writing for children's magazines? The pay is not spectacular. But knowing that thousands of children will read what I wrote is still a thrill. And I've even had an article translated into other languages. I like the succinctness of writing for a children's magazine. You can't be wordy and you can't pad either. It's all content or die trying.

There's also the memories of having a subscription to Jack and Jill  many years ago, and the vivid recollection of My Weekly Reader  in elementary school. 

If the only experience you have with kids' magazines is in doctors' waiting rooms, I encourage you to look around. There's a lot more out there.

I just finished several articles for Calliope, a world history magazine for 9-14-year-olds. It's published by Carus which also publishes Cricket, Cobblestone, and a ton of other magazines.

The topic was "The Orchestra" and I really got into it. I'll reveal more about what the articles are like when we get closer to publication date.

But I learned a lot and got to talk to some seriously amazing  people about the music they make.

Look at the cover of September's issue. Pretty cool, huh?

If you want to give a child a perfect gift, think of a subscription to a magazine. Getting mail is beyond cool when you're a kid. The thrill of getting a new issue every month adds to the excitement that all children should feel about reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment